Skip to main content

Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Automobile Insurance

Personal vehicles for BYU business

Using personal vehicles for BYU business is discouraged. For further details, see the University Vehicle Policy.

Auto insurance card

You may print the auto insurance card for university-owned vehicles: Insurance Card.

Automobile Insurance for Mexico

Travel to Mexico

In coordination with best practices, for travel from the United States into Mexico by private passenger vehicle, the traveling party should rent a vehicle at or near the border and purchase insurance through the auto rental company. We suggest you do not drive a University-owned vehicle into Mexico. We also suggest you not drive a personal vehicle into Mexico and seek reimbursement for the expenses. Rent a vehicle in the U.S. and purchase the Mexico insurance, including liability and physical damage, and drive across the border.

Certificates of Insurance

Certificates of Insurance Request

When another entity requires proof of insurance from BYU, fill out a Certificate of Insurance (COI) Request. It is important that this process be started well ahead of time. We request that you request a certificate of insurance two weeks prior to your event. If you do not meet this deadline you may ask your vendor if they would accept a memorandum of insurance, which can be printed directly from our website, or by following the link above. If you do not meet the other requirements, you may have to cancel your event.
Typically, the request is simply for proof of general liability insurance. Sometimes the requesting party will require proof of other types of insurance or additional terms to be put on your certificate. Consult with the Insurance Manager (2-2797) or the Insurance Assistant (2-6886) on any special requests. All requests for COIs must be accompanied by the full contract or agreement complete with the insurance terms and conditions spelled out.

Contract Review

Legal Documents Policy

In conjunction with the University's revised Legal Documents Policy, all contracts and agreements containing liability, insurance, and indemnification (e.g. hold harmless, indemnify, duty to defend, etc.) provisions are to be reviewed by BYU's Risk Management and Safety Department prior to execution.

Field Trip Insurance

What is field trip insurance?

Field trip insurance is excess, no-fault accident insurance.

Who does it cover?

Field trip insurance is intended to cover all students participating in University-sponsored and supervised, academic or educational field trip experiences.

Is field trip insurance mandatory?

Field Trip Insurance is required for all colleges and schools completing off-campus field-trip activities.

What are the coverage benefits of the insurance?

The field trip insurance plan provides up to $10,000 for Accidental Death & Dismemberment related incidents and up to $10,000 for Accidental Medical Expense (incl. limit of $250 per tooth.) It does not include illnesses. The insurance plan is excess over the student participant's primary insurance and the plan would respond to medical expenses that are deemed medically necessary. Note: This insurance is not required for BYU employees working the field trip (see Workers' Compensation).

How do I sign up for field trip insurance?

All requests for field trip insurance should be submitted to the Risk Management and Safety Department through the Field Trip Insurance Request Form. Questions about this process can be addressed directly by the Insurance Manager (2-2797) or the Financial Assistant (2-0649).


How is BYU-owned property insured?

Through The Church's insurance and retention programs, BYU's property is insured (covered) against most common perils, including theft, on a worldwide basis; however, this does not include BYU-owned property while in transit with a common or a contract carrier (e.g. the USPS, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.). Personal property is not generally covered by BYU or the Church's insurance program.

How is rented or leased property or equipment insured?

When required under written contract, lease, or agreement, rented or leased property or equipment is also insured (covered) against most common perils on a worldwide basis. The in-transit exclusion noted above still applies.

Should I ship BYU-owned property through BYU Mail Services without shipping insurance?

No. BYU does not cover property while in transit with a common or a contract carrier. If your department is shipping something of unusually high value or risk of being damaged or stolen, and if your department does not have the funds to cover the loss of or damage to the property while in transit, you are encouraged to purchase the insurance coverage from the carrier. If it is not available, contact BYU Risk Management and Safety for details on how to procure in-transit coverage for your shipment.

How do I request evidence (proof) of property insurance for a contract, lease, or other agreement?

All requests for property insurance should be submitted to the Risk Management and Safety Department through the Evidence of Property Insurance Request Form. Questions about this process can be addressed directly by the Insurance Manager (2-2797) or the Insurance Assistant (2-6886).

Rental Vehicles

How should I go about renting a vehicle for domestic travel?

In conjunction with the University's Purchasing & Travel Procedures, all vehicle rentals for domestic travel should be booked through one of the three contracted rental car companies, namely: Enterprise, National, or Hertz. Please refer to the Purchasing & Travel website for more details on insurance information as well important information pertaining to international travelers who must rent vehicles while traveling abroad.

What do I do if the rental is secured with a non-contracted rental car company?

If a domestic rental is secured with a non-contracted rental car company, the renting party should secure all available insurance coverage (liability and collision damage) available from the rental company. The cost is to be borne by the department or unit renting the vehicle.

How does this apply to Commercial Motor Vehicles?

With limited exception, the same guidance on the purchase of insurance applies to the rental of larger Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs) such as box trucks or delivery vans. (NOTE: It is recommended that the unit or individual first check with BYU Motor Pool for the availability of such a vehicle.)

Can I rent a 15-passenger vehicle?

No. 15-passenger vehicles should never be rented by or on behalf of the University (see the University's Vehicle Policy for details).